[mythtv-users] OT: building an HD Frontend for $250 or less

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 22:25:45 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/05, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> S-out != HD Frontend

Not necessarily. While I won't call it "True" HD, or optimal, you can
get 800x600 out the SVIDEO connector easily, and 1024x768 in some
cases (haven't tried it on this one). A purist would be offended, not
being 1:1, and you'd have to tweak the aspect ratio, and it would be
HW/SW scaled, but it's not bad for poor mans HD.

> VGA-component converted -- add another $100 (AA 9A60)
> Or get a nvidia card which has component out (similarly priced).

Both would be valid options, but, as you mentioned, would raise the
cost. Or, as another poster mentioned, if your TV already handles DVI,
ASUS makes a $20 card that plugs into the AGP slot, and gives you DVI
off the motherboard.