[mythtv-users] Trouble with DVB-T cards or software -- no /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 output

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:13:00 UTC 2005

> I have been having a lot of trouble trying to make DVB-T cards
>    work properly with dvb tools etc. for use with mythtv....
>
> I have 2 cards, for which EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM applies to
>    either (using only 1 card in machine at any time)...
>
> One card is an (apparently supported) V-STREAM dvb-T card
>    with a CX23883-19 IC...
> The other card is an "LR6650" which apparnetly work according
>    to page:-
>    http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/leek/ukdvb.php
>
> I have been using a gentoo system, and have tried various
>    kernel builds with no success.  I have used the
>    bytesex.org kenrel patch to make such kernels in the
>    first place....
>
> The kernel I have made work, and the modules loaded etc.
>    show that the card has been detected and the FRONTEND
>    has been registered okay (slightly different messages
>    with the 2 slightly-different-cards).
>
> In any case, after (I'm sure) loading all the right modules
>    etc... from reading various pages/information --
>    I build linuxtv.org 'dvb-apps' CVS version fine and
>    use the "dvbscan" program on the dvb-t/uk-Mendip
>    frequency/channel configuration...
>
> This DVBSCAN usuall succeeds, occasionally failing with
>    a timeout, and produces a list of channels on the
>    MUX's available, successfully which shows me that
>    my DVB-T card must be working mostly.  I used the output
>    of this scan redirected [or "tee"'ed] to create an
>    output channel-list file...
>
> I then used tzap with -c parameter pointing to my
>    channel-list-config-file, the channel name in
>    double-quotes, and some other parameter (something
>    like "-xa" or similar -- to setup card/driver ready
>    for recieving by another program... Can't remember
>    the exact parameters now.
> This quickly gives a few lines of FE_HAS_LOCK and
>    exits tzap (which I thought this is supposed to
>    leave the dvr0 device usable when tzap is no
>    longer running).

I thought if you got FE_HAS LOCK then the cards is working. You just
then need to configure it with MythTV. I have 2 Kworld Vstream Xprts
DVB-T PCI cards and they're both working. When I cat
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0, I also get nothing - it seems to hang.
However, as my cards are working, I would say that isn't your problem.
Your post doesn't actually says what the problem is - the cards seems
to be working, by the look of it. Are you having trouble configuring
it in MythTV?

FYI, I'm running kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 on FC3 with ATRPMs. I didn't
have to do any patching of the kernel.

Regards,
Phill