[mythtv-users] HD content playback on Mac Mini OS X

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 14:58:07 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Fox Hole <foxstore at excite.com> wrote:
<snip>

> I bought the Mini as a frontend playback device.  Should I hold onto the Mini in the hopes that it will be able to playback 1080i content smoothly, or is the Mini unpowered?  Will MythTV ever be able to take advantage of the MPEG-2 hardware decoding offered by the video interface?  For me, PVR is the sole purpose of this Mini and most of my recordings are HD.

hold on to the mini because you like it and because it's a great SD
frontend.  at this point the mini will never support HD playback.
since Apple is switching to Intel nobody will be focusing on extending
the powers of the G4 in the mini.  so the features that it offers will
probably not be available unless you decide to code for them.
on the other hand, the next mini, the one with Intel inside, will
probably support HD right away.  not just because it will have a
faster processor, but because Apple will want to add to a great
product.

> Have others had any luck with acceptable HD content playback?  For the authors of the OS X port, is there a timeline for such capability or am I living in a pipedream?

it's most likely a pipedream on 'this particular' mini. :(  but it
will happen for Apple hardware in the next year.
that being said, if you want to off load that mini i know a few ppl
that might be interested. ;)