[mythtv-users] Multiple IR Blasters?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 7 22:31:23 UTC 2005

Ryan Tremaine wrote:

>It took more than a few sleepless nights but I think the end is finally
>insight for a working myth install. One major question I'm having trouble
>finding an answer to is related to multiple IR transmitters. I have 2
>Comcast digital cable boxes going to 2 PVR150's over s-video. I've read the
>documentation about setting up an IR blaster but was wondering if it's
>possible to control both boxes, each with their own transmitter?

Possible, but a whole lot more work than building Enrique Vidal's
improved serial transmitter ( http://lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html
), which can be used as an IR blaster.

To use multiple IR transmitters, you'd have to
  a) connect each to its own serial port (do you really have enough
serial ports for this approach?) and install multiple copies of LIRC
such that they don't interfere with each other (i.e. as shown at
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html
)
  b) rewrite LIRC's serial driver to support multiple transmitters using
the different pins of the serial port.  This would also require
rewriting most of LIRC to support multiple devices (transmitters/receivers).

To use the improved serial transmitter, you'd have to
  a) throw together a bunch of electronics components
  b) get a friend to throw together a bunch of electronics components

I highly recommend the improved transmitter.

Good luck,
Mike