[mythtv-users] How does the diskless setup work?

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Wed Jun 8 00:30:52 UTC 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:22 PM, A JM wrote:

> So, what kind of cases are you guy's using? if it's diskless and
> fanless as in the VIA EPIA ME6000 or SP8000E (I'm not sure what this
> is HD Commell LV-667) you'll need video card height in order to use
> decoding on a card correct? So, are they mostly beastly ugly PC's or
> something more attractive?
>
> My backend is running an XP3200 with 512meg and a couple of 200gig
> drives in a LVM so I'm assuming it could handle the front end?
>
> I'm currently finishing off an XBOX front end and although it's not
> unattractive I'd like something attractive and quite.
>
> Thanks for all the great information and feedback.

I'm using a Casetronic C-158-60W. It has a small fan, and my M10K has a
small fan. It makes a very small amount of noise, but not noticeable at
all over the pump in my aquarium.  When I had the aquarium off today to
clean it, I didn't hear the front end at all though.

It comes with a riser card, but I'm not using it. I replaced the power
switch/hdd+power led in the front of the case with a circuit board I
made, replacing the hdd led with an IR receiver and support parts,
plugging into the COM2 header on the motherboard. It didn't work so
well with such a small hole (I hoped the little plastic through-lens
would work both ways, but you had to aim straight at it), so I drilled
it out to be the same size as the power button, and put a thin red
sheet of plastic behind the hole. Had I not wanted to put an RF
transmitter on the same LIRC port, I would have been much better off
buying an IR receiver.

In the end, I'm pretty happy with it, the box looks nice, and came with
all the connectors and screws that it should have. My only complaint is
that the blue power led in the front is *way* too bright. Had I thought
about it, when I rebuilt the circuit board, I would have added a
resistor to dim it. Instead, I just have a piece of paper in front of
it inside the case to take it down a brightness notch.

-Michael