[mythtv-users] PCHDTV-3000 2.0 settings

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jun 8 04:53:23 UTC 2005

I finally figured out my problem! Thanks to all who helped. I hope that
I will be able to return the favor some day. I acted on a lot of hints I
got, but my problem came down to my lack of ability to communicate with
people who know way more about how this all works than I do. The hint
that I got that put me on the right track was this:

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 10:27 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 12:16 -0400, Michael Haan wrote:
>
> > Ah, there's the catch.  The HD3000 can tune HD one of two ways - OTA
> > via an antenna with the V4L drivers, or QAM (aka digital cable) via
> > the DVB drivers.
>
> I have tried using both drivers.  Neither works with Mythtv. As far as I
> can tell, xawtv is using the V4L drivers (/dev/video0) which work fine
> there.

Well, it never occurred to me until tonight to forget the DVB drivers
that everybody was telling me to use (which I assume only work with
*digital* cable which I do not have, as I did state more than once), and
forget the drivers that are for the specific card I have (pcHDTV 3000,
and those drivers are probably an early version of the DVB drivers
anyway), and use the generic V4L drivers. Poof! It worked. Probably when
I first set up the card, I accepted the default which is V4L, which
would explain why it worked at first. It was only when I tried to
outsmart myself that I screwed things up.

So if you don't have *digital* cable, you must use the V4L drivers. this
is probably obvious to most people out there, but I beat my head against
the wall for three days to learn that fact, so hopefully someone
searching the archives someday will find this message and avoid the same
large headache for themselves.

> >   To tune regular analog cable you'll need a card like
> > the PVR-350

V4L drivers with the pcHDTV 3000 work just fine for analog cable.

--Greg