[mythtv-users] Black Screen w/PVR-250 caused by overheat

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Jun 8 06:30:13 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Brian Fischer wrote:
>
>> I am experiencing a black screen on my pvr-250 after a few weeks of
>> uptime
>> with my myth box.  I believe the cause is overheating because I cannot
>> get
>> my live tv to work until I shutdown and leave the computer off for
>> about 30
>> minutes.  A reboot will not fix this issue.  I plan on adding a new
>> fan to
>> the system, but wanted to know if anyone has a solution or suggestions to
>> fix this.
>>

> If you think you have a heat problem, open the PC and run it until you
> have your suspected heat issue. Then spray the suspected component with
> freeze spray and view if you have any changes in the video output.
> Sometimes you can find intermittent thermal problems with freeze spray
> -- not always.
>
> On the other hand, how many people have heat problems with PVRx50s? It
> might be something else.

I don't know how many people, but I'll raise my hand here. In the past 2
years I've had 4 PVR-250 cards die due to heat. The 4th one just gave
out a couple weeks ago. First the tuner gets noisy for a month or so,
then I start getting dropout that results in corrupted recordings and
cause commercial detection to crash. Then I buy a replacement.

I'm currently down to 2 cards again and am planning this time to replace
with two PVR-500 cards.

My system is a RedHat9-based Athlon 2600+ in a Gigabyte GA7VT600 MB with
512MB RAM, watercooled in a 4U rack chassis. The PVR cards get HOT and
are the main source of heat inside the chassis. They seem to last up to
a year. Of the 6 total cards I've had, none of them are still in service
after over 2 years.

YMMV :)