[mythtv-users] Re: A little upgrade help...

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jun 8 15:34:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 11:05 -0400, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

> But now I have another question - what would be the "proper"
> way to upgrade from FC2 to FC3.  Can I just change repos
> for ATrpms and upgrade my kernel to an FC3 one?

That is unlikely to work, as the ATrpms will undoubtedly have
dependencies on other RPMs that come with the base system, and the ones
in the FC3 AT repository will be expecting the FC3 versions of the base
system. I think you will have to bite the bullet and upgrade the entire
system to FC3 first, then change repos and do a "yum update". If your
repos are configured properly (with the $releasever variable), you
probably won't have to modify your YUM config, just run the update after
upgrading.

Obviously, this changes a LOT of stuff on the system, so there is no
guarantee at all that this process is going to go completely smoothly.
I've never tried it, but this is how I would do it (I probably will be
trying it soon with FC4 due out any day now). But I'd be prepared to
install FC3 from scratch if the upgrade doesn't work for some reason.
But if you have a lot of extra stuff (like MythTV) that isn't part of
the distribution, it's probably worth trying the upgrade first before
doing a complete reinstall.

--Greg