[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase problem on new install

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 9 00:06:49 UTC 2005

Justin Popa wrote:

>On 6/8/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
>

>>Attempt to run mythfilldatabase results in (among other things)
>>
>>"unknown socket"
>>
>>and dumps me back to a command prompt.
>>
>Welcome to my issue, if you look in the dir... there isnt a full mysql
>installation. I am away from home for a bit and I haven't had time to
>fix it. I tried some stuff but I couldn't figure it out. Basically
>you're missing mysql.sock, if you find a solution, please let me know.

Sounds like your MySQL is using a non-default location for the socket.
How about putting the lines

[mysqld]
socket=/path/to/mysql.sock

[client]
socket=/path/to/mysql.sock

in the file ~/.my.cnf of the user running mythfilldatabase.

You can find the location of the socket by running:

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -e status

(from a user account that's already configured ;).  If you don't have an
account that can connect, check your start scripts to see if they
specify a --socket option or MYSQL_UNIX_PORT environment variable.  If
so, put its value in .my.cnf.  If not, your MySQL was probably compiled
to use a different default location for the socket (using
--with-unix-socket-path), so you can either find out what it was or use
--socket or MYSQL_UNIX_PORT to set it back to the default default
(/tmp/mysql.sock).

Mike