[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase problem on new install

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Jun 9 01:10:40 UTC 2005

>>> mtdean at thirdcontact.com 06/08/05 8:06 PM >>>
>On 6/8/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
>

>>Attempt to run mythfilldatabase results in (among other things)
>>
>>"unknown socket"
>>
>>and dumps me back to a command prompt.
>>
> Sounds like your MySQL is using a non-default location for the
socket.
> How about putting the lines
>
> [mysqld]
> socket=/path/to/mysql.sock
>
> [client]
> socket=/path/to/mysql.sock
>
> in the file ~/.my.cnf of the user running mythfilldatabase.
>
> The user running the fill is mythtv.
>
> You can find the location of the socket by running:
>
> mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -e status
>
> (from a user account that's already configured ;).  If you don't
> have an account that can connect, check your start scripts to see
> if they specify a --socket option or MYSQL_UNIX_PORT
> environment variable.  If so, put its value in .my.cnf.  If not, your

> MySQL was probably compiled to use a different default location
> for the socket (using --with-unix-socket-path), so you can either
> find out what it was or use --socket or MYSQL_UNIX_PORT to set
> it back to the default (/tmp/mysql.sock).
>
> Mike

Ok, here goes...

Added that stuff to a .my.cnf copied into mythtv user directory.

Running mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -e status results in
--------------
mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.58, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)

Connection id:          14
Current database:       mythconverg
Current user:           mythtv at localhost
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Server version:         3.23.58
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Client characterset:    latin1
Server characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 13 min 34 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 211  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 14  Flush tables: 1
 Open tables: 8 Queries per second avg: 0.259
--------------

Seeing that mysql.sock is in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock, I double
checked
that was where it actually was, and it is.  I also tried running as
root and
got the same friggin result.  This is the exact same setup as I had
before.  I have my whole fc2 install backed up on a different
drive and was able to look at my old my.cnf.  It was in the /etc
directory, and no sign of it anywhere else.

I'm using atrpms, and I think I got an updated mysql from there.

Paul