[mythtv-users] Scheduler problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 9 08:27:47 UTC 2005

Ant Daniel wrote:

>I'm having some problems with the Scheduler, I have tried to solve
>myself and search around but I can't find any solution.
>
>For certain shows that I have been watching for a long time, it try's
>to record all occurances of the program, including duplicate showings.
>If I select a brand new show It does what I expect (schedule just one
>of the various viewings).
>
>I suspect that this is to do with the fact that when I first used this
>system I used the old Radio Times grabber, this didn't have any
>discriptions/subtitles. I have gone through the oldrecorded tables and
>removed everything with a blank description (DELETE FROM oldrecorded
>WHERE description = "";).

Deleting entries from oldrecorded tells Myth you want to re-record them.

>This hasn't helped. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try, (I
>don't really want to wipe my database and start again, but I will if I
>have to).

You have a couple of options:
    a) Identify those episodes you've already seen and mark them "Never
Record" (not too hard if you use MythWeb and 2 browser windows, dragging
the "Never Record" link from the "Scheduled Recordings" window to the
extra window so you're not constantly having to find your place again).
    b) Change the duplicate check method for the recording rule to
Subtitle.  This way, if the entry in oldrecorded has a different
description but the same subtitle (episode title), it will be identified
as a match.
    c) Set the recording rule to record only new episodes.

I would do a) because I like having a "complete" database.

Mike