[mythtv-users] Re: A little upgrade help...

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jun 9 08:57:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:34:15AM -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 11:05 -0400, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>
> > But now I have another question - what would be the "proper"
> > way to upgrade from FC2 to FC3.  Can I just change repos
> > for ATrpms and upgrade my kernel to an FC3 one?
>
> That is unlikely to work, as the ATrpms will undoubtedly have
> dependencies on other RPMs that come with the base system, and the ones
> in the FC3 AT repository will be expecting the FC3 versions of the base
> system.

When changing the ATrpms' repos to point to FC3 he/she will have to
change at the same time the other repos to point to FC3, too.

> I think you will have to bite the bullet and upgrade the entire
> system to FC3 first, then change repos and do a "yum update". If
> your repos are configured properly (with the $releasever variable),
> you probably won't have to modify your YUM config, just run the
> update after upgrading.

Unfortunately anaconda is quite drastic in "upgrading" leaving broken
dependencies behind. So yum will fail, and apt will need an apt-get -f
install.

What you can do (and what I have done in half a dozen systems, I was
too lazy to reinstall from scratch, and didn't need a backup), is

o change the repos to point to FC3
o apt-get update
o check the FC3 release notes on how to manually upgrade a system [*]
o Perform these steps with apt-get install ..., reboot etc.
  You basically need to upgrade initscripts, udev, mkinitrd (in this
  order), install an FC3 kernel and reboot.
o After having successfully booted into an FC3 kernel do your
  - apt-get upgrade and then
  - apt-get dist-upgrade

Make sure you won't be sad if this system goes nirvana and does need a
reinstall, e.g. backup your data.

BTW nothing beats a fresh reinstall ...

[*] From the release notes:

   Systems upgraded to Fedora Core 3 using Anaconda will automatically be
   reconfigured to use udev. However (although NOT recommended) it is
   possible to perform a "live" upgrade to udev using the following
   steps:

    1. Ensure that you are running a 2.6 kernel

    2. Ensure that /sys/ is mounted

    3. Install the initscripts RPM supplied with Fedora Core 3

    4. Install the new udev RPM supplied with Fedora Core 3

    5. Execute /sbin/start_udev

    6. Install the new mkinitrd RPM supplied with Fedora Core 3

    7. Perform one of the following steps:

       . Install the new kernel RPM supplied with Fedora Core 3

       OR:

       . Re-run mkinitrd for your existing kernel(s)

  Warning

   Improperly performing these steps can result in a system
   configuration
   that will not boot properly.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net