[mythtv-users] Myth, IRBlaster, FC3 and a single instance of LIRC?

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 01:19:51 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Claude Boucher <bouchecl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Has anyone had any luck with the "Controlling a digital cable/satellite
> box using Fedora, MythTV, an IR Blaster and one instance of LIRC". howto
> (available at http://www.lircsetup.com/lirc/blaster/index.php)?
>
> I'm having a hard time replicating such a setup on a myth system running
> an FC3 installation (done with the most recent version of Jarod Wilson's
> bible) and I've kept it updated with apt using the atrpms.net (kernel
> 2.6.10_770; lirc 0.70; ivtv 0.32q) repository.
>
> There is nothing really exotic in my box (AMD Sempron3000+; Asus
> A7N8X-VM/400 Mobo with on-board audio and LAN; Hauppauge PVR250 retail
> with grey and black remote; and the pre-built IRBlaster available at
> http://www.irblaster.info, Asus-branded FX5200 AGP card) and my system
> works almost without a glitch under MythTV 0.17.
>
> So, I followed the howtos to the letter. After doing all the typing, and
> after rebooting the system, the only thing I get is a cryptic message:
>
> irsend: could not connect to socket
>
> I've tried setting my only com port to IRQ 3 / 0x02F8 / ttyS1  and IRQ 4
> / 0x03F8 / ttyS0 in the BIOS (with subsequent modifications to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local and /etc/modprobe.conf) with no success.
>
> Then, I've noticed Jarod's update to his howto
> (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#lirc) where he applies a diff to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and modifies /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules to force
> the preloading of some devices, including the infrared drivers. I
> remember applying this diff. Could it be a factor in my own failure?
>
> So, before switching to the methods involving compiling two instances of
> LIRC (I have absolutely no experience with compiling stuff; I didn't
> even installed the dev tools...), I'd like to know if anyone had success
> with the "one instance of LIRC method".
>
> Thanks for your advice,
>
> Claude

Yes, I have followed these instructions and I can say that it works
beautifully.  I have a pvr-350 with remote and two IR blasters
controlling two Dish satellite receivers, and one instance of LIRC.

I also repeatedly saw that same error mesage you mentioned.  It was
because I had specified the wrong com port.  I would *highly*
recommend setting your modprobe.conf for COM1, REBOOTING, and testing.
 If that doesn't work, change it to COM2 and REBOOT, and test again.
Rebooting each time may sound excessive, but had I given in and done
just that, I would have saved myself hours of frustration...

-darren