[mythtv-users] Considering MythTV, curious about relative WAF.

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 02:23:30 UTC 2005

On 6/9/05, David Asher <david.asher at caviumnetworks.com> wrote:
> Our household is currently all DirecTivos (2 series 1, 1 HDTivo).
>
> My wife LOVES her/our tivos.  (As do I)
>
> Unfortunately, DirecTV ticked me off recently with the NFL Sunday Ticket
> pricing, and I've always loved the convergence possiblities (realities?)
> of MythTV, so I'm thinking of using it as an opportunity to bring in MythTV.
>
> Once MythTV is working, is it as stable as the tivos?  Is it as
> trustworthy as the tivos?  I haven't had a chance to play with it yet,
> is it as easy to use as the tivos?  I know it can do things that the
> tivos can't, but I'm not sure my wife will be interested in those things.
>
> Anyone with experience using both directivos and MythTV please chime
> in.  I really,really,REALLY don't want to lose the WAF of the Tivos.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David.

I have no experience with Tivo's, as I never saw the value of paying
for them. But when I thought about the possibility of building my own,
it was easy to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for some capture
cards and a big hdd.
I believe the WAF is very high with my Mythbox. About the only time
she gets upset is when I start fiddling around and break it. And even
then it's not too bad, because when I am done and it's back online, it
usually works better than it did previously (new features, plugins,
etc.).
The wife is actually sitting right next to me now, on her *cough*
windows box. Let me ask her to rate it on a scale of 1 - 10...
She says it would rate a 7 if it were not sitting in a tower case
beside the TV. The fact that I don't have it in a compact type case
drops it to a 5. She also adds that because I now am in front of the
TV a lot more than I used to be, perhaps it's a 4.
However, she never misses an Oprah anymore, so I'm offended by her rating of 7.
--Garry