[mythtv-users] Pentium M

gad at jetcom.org gad at jetcom.org
Fri Jun 10 13:35:13 UTC 2005

Quoting 4of11 at comcast.net:

> Does anybody have any experience with Pentium M processors?  I'm
> thinking about getting an M based computer to use as a diskless
> combination slave-backend/frontend.  Any ideas as to how many Mhz
> I'll need to accomplish this with SD MPEG4 software encoding?  I
> understand that the M is more powerful per Mhz than the Pentium 4,
> but I'm not sure how much so.  Also, while I don't have any HD stuff
> now, I'd like to make sure it's future compatible, so how much power
> would I need to decode one 1080i HD stream?

I'm used it successfully on a 2.0 Pentium M, with no problems decoding
HD on there. My 1.3 M laptop does not decode 1080i successfully, it
works for 720p ( tho the wireless will drop out :( )

I'm guessing the sweet spot is the 1.8 MHz, tho I should try on my
fiancee's 1.6 some day when she isn't looking.