[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Audio sync problems

john sturgeon john.sturgeon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:36:25 UTC 2005

On 6/10/05, Michael J. Lynch <mlynch at gcom.com> wrote:
> I've noticed lots and lots of postings on this list from people
> experiencing audio sync problems with Myth and/or mplayer.  I just
> wanted to relate a little something I've noticed that may or may
> not provide some answers.
>
> I have a Samsung TS360 HD sat receiver that has an OTA input.  I
> use this box to receive and watch OTA digital (SD and HD) programming
> on a Panasonic HD monitor.  I have noticed that the audio is sometimes
> out of sync from some broadcasters.
>
> The worst case I've seen with a local broadcaster is with the local
> news broadcast.  The audio is always slightly out of sync with the
> video when the broadcast is from the studio but when they switch to
> a live remote, the audio is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of sync.  When the
> broadcaster is broadcasting network programming, a/v sync appears to
> be ok.  Since the A/V sync from this broadcaster seems to vary
> depending on what the programming source is and appears to consistantly
> be that way, I don't believe the a/v sync issue is related to either
> my receiver or monitor.  In fact, I believe the problem originates
> at the broadcaster.
>
> You're probably wondering...what does this mean to me?  Well, for
> those of you experiencing a/v sync problems with myth or mplayer, you
> should not rule out the source of the problem being the broadcaster.
> Anyway, I hope this information is useful to someone.

I'm curious how you have been able to determine that the *source* a/v
is out of sync?  It seems to me that Time Sync codes and what-not
should be pretty reliable at the source, and that playback can
sometimes fall in/out of sync depending on the method of playback.
Seems a bit odd, and certainly nothing like what I've experienced for
any of my HD or SD OTA broadcast streams.

--
John <><