[mythtv-users] Upgrade problems

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 17:33:49 UTC 2005

On 6/11/05, John Williams <williamsbyron at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have begun trying to upgrade to version .18.1 using FC3 and apt-get.
> I have run through the install mythtv-suite stuff and all seems to
> work fine. When I try to launch the mythtv-setup I get the first 2
> questioins about clearing tuner card info and about clearing channel
> info, but then the whole thing freezes. I just have the myth
> background on screen. I even left it over night last night to see if
> it would come up with something, it never did.

Are you able to answer whether you want to remove the card/channel
info, or does it freeze before you can?

> I can't seem to figure out what is going on and don't even know where
> to start to look in thlogs to see an error. I read the mythbackend log
> and it has no errors listed.

I recall one such issue whereby mythfilldatabase runs in a separate
shell window which sometimes appears behind the setup screen, making
the system appear frozen. This is when you are setting up new channels
in the setup program, so it may not be exactly the problem you are
having. Bringing the hidden window to the front again will get you up
and running again, as it is waiting for user input to add channels.

Make sure there are no other windows open behind the main myth setup
screen, and if you run the setup from the command line, whether there
is any output.

If you are upgrading, make sure MySQL is up and running and that your
capture cards are still functional as the upgrade (dist-upgrade if you
did one) may have temporarily stopped them from working.

Nick