[mythtv-users] Re: Hauppage Quality comparison question

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 11 19:30:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:05:30PM -0400, Robin Smith wrote:
> Is there any noticeable quality difference between the PVR-250 and the
> newer 150/500 models? Does anyone have a Mythbox that has both a 250
> and a 150 (or 500) in it that can give a direct comparison (since all
> other variables should be identical).

The Amity2 family (PVR-150/500) are considered better (with comb
filtering among other), but the PVR-350/250 were already doing a great
job, so you won't be able to really see the difference.

> Are there any issues making two 150s work in the same box? Is there
> any advantage/disadvantage of two 150s over one 500?

One PCI slot less? But you have less external (parallel) inputs.

> I can't seem find much on the list comparing the quality of each card
> which surprised me.

Probably because they aren't much different in hardware quality.

The difference are more in price and Linux support. As a new product
the PVR-150 had no drivers initially, but the ivtv project was
amazingly fast in picking up support (considering that the
card is very different, only the mpeg encoder is the same).

Currently the PVR-150 Linux support is mature enough to not consider
this difference.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net