[mythtv-users] HD-3000 firmware upload

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:43:31 UTC 2005

On 6/11/05, Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 03:26:25PM -0500, Mercury Morris wrote:
> > > After a bit of work installing kernel 2.6.12-rc6 and an HD-3000
> > > card, I'm able to watch HDTV using only the DVB driver that comes
> > > with that kernel.  Nothing from the pcHDTV website was installed.
> > >
> > > But the gyrations I have to go thru to get the card up and running
> > > seem very primitive.  Here's what I do, all by hand after the system
> > > boots:
> > >
> > >   As root,  modprobe cx88-dvb
> > >
> > >   As mythtv, azap kmsp
> > >
> > > Right after the azap command, there is a short delay while the
> > > firmware is uploaded, then the signal is displayed and the happy
> > > string, "FE_HAS_LOCK" is typed out!
> > >
> > > The system log has all the details.
> > >
> > > But there must be a much, much smoother way to get the firmware
> > > uploaded.  The "modprobe cx88-dvb" command can be put into
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.local, which will smooth-out that part  of it.  But
> > > that's not enough to get the firmware loaded.
> > >
> > > How else might the firmware be uploaded, without having to manually
> > > enter a command, such as "azap kmsp" ?
> >
> > I just stuck "cx88-dvb" into my /etc/modules (list of modules to
> > automatically at system startup). The firmware seems to get
> > automatically loaded just fine.
> >
> > Your distro may use a different convention (my system is
> > debian/ubuntu).
>
> Thanks Rob,
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 3, with the aforementioned added
> kernel 2.6.12.-rc6.  Surely, the debian/ubuntu folks have
> done the extra work to make it a bit easier to use the DVB
> driver with less manual work - nice for you debian users !

Well, here's part of an answer.  After a re-boot of the system,
as root I issued the command,  modprobe cx88-dvb.  That
went OK, nothing unusual.  Then instead of trying the azap kmsp
command, I started the backend with

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend start

and the firmware loaded - I have no idea how !!

Does anyone have an idea what the backend does to get the
firmware loaded into the HD-3000 ?  Is the backend even involved ?

Sometimes, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

--
MM