[mythtv-users] suggestions for IR receiver

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 01:40:12 UTC 2005

On 6/11/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/05, Paul Harvey <paul.l.harvey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It isn't a IrDA dongle....it is an IR receiver.  When I set it up a
> > while ago it required the latest version of LIRC, but did work.
> >

> Paul,
>    Thanks. So I'll order a StreamZap this evening and try it out next
> week when it arrives. I've not found anywhere to purchase it locally
> in San Jose although I'm sure someone must sell them. Guess I'll go
> Amazon for now.
>
>    So there's a difference between an 'IrDA dongle' and an 'IR
> receiver'? I know absolutely nothing of this technology.

Yes, there's a big difference.  IrDA is a data communications protocol
that uses infrared.  The IR receivers being talked about here are for
CIR (short for consumer infrared), which is a catchall term for the
sort of IR used by remote controls.  It's just happens that a few IrDA
transceivers can be coaxed into handling CIR as well (the Actisys
IR-200L, for example.)  I don't think any of the USB ones are capable
of this.  The Actisys I mentioned is a serial model, and I don't
really recommend it; the range is pretty lousy.

Carl Fongheiser