[mythtv-users] Via Epia Hardware

Matthew Phillips mythtv at mattp.name
Sun Jun 12 02:32:53 UTC 2005

On 11/06/2005, at 8:38 PM, Dirk Aust wrote:

> I have two combined front/backend on a M10000 running, one with a
> DVD-T card
> and one with PVR-250, performance is ok, also transcoding is ok,
> but not too
> fast

btw, for those users of relatively slow fe/be combos (I have a 1GHz
EPIA) who haven't discovered this yet: transcoding to mpeg4 via
"mencoder" using ffmpeg's libav codec library is *much* faster than
xvid/divx, which is what nuvexport/transcode uses by default AFAICT.

As a data point: I was seeing conversion speeds of 1-2fps from
"transcode" in high quality mode, while I get about 5-6fps from
"mencoder" with analogous quality options set, plus deinterlacing and
noise reduction. This can make the difference between an overnight
transcode and a multi-day one on a slow box.

Cheers,

Matt.