[mythtv-users] Trouble booting a system with S-video plugged in

Larry Taub larryt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:51:18 UTC 2005

I put together a second machine to be a frontend only system playing my
recordings to a second tv. I had a red hat 9.2 installation on the machine
originally that I upgraded to FC3 and then followed Jarod's howto document.
I got pretty much everything working but there is an odd problem that might
be really simple for somebody to pick out.

When I boot with S-Video plugged in, the BIOS shows up fine and the tv
displays that the grub bootloader stage 2 is beginning and then it never
continues. If I plug in a VGA monitor or nothing, it boots fine and when it
gets to the X login screen, I can hook in my S-Video cable and see
everything just fine and it works fine on the tv after this point.

Obviously, I don't intend on rebooting this machine often but it would be
nice to figure out what is causing this problem and perhaps fix it
especially since my backend/frontend machine boots fine with just the
S-Video cable (on the same TV and S-Video cable right now).

The specs are: K7S5A Pro with SDRAM, Athlon 800, Nvidia GF4 MX420 (pull from
a Dell, possibly XFX brand), SB Live Value,

Thanks,
Larry