[mythtv-users] confused by MythMusic - alternatives?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Jun 12 15:06:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm confused by the MythMusic interface. By default it seems to list
every track I have in one big list, and starts playing the very first
each time. Going into the play list editors allows to me to browse
artists but then you have to select individual tracks; then I'm not sure
how to actually PLAY the list. I don't think my remote mapping is very
suitable.

What I want to do is simple:
Browse by genre, then artist, then album. Then play a whole album.
Or browse by genre then album directly.

I don't need to queue up multiple albums but it would be useful.
I don't want to select each track individually.

It would be nice to play random albums, or random with a genre.

Is there a way to do these tasks easily, at least selecting a whole
album to play? I'd also consider alternatives to MythMusic that integrate
with LIRC.

It would be useful also to either

1. access the music collection remotely via UPnP (though I'm
   happy to mount via NFS or CIFS/Samba);

2. select tracks on a remote computer and have them streamed to
   the Myth PC - like "remote speakers" in iTunes-speak.
   However this isn't my preferred option as the machine
   acting as remote speakers couldn't pause the stream,
   skip tracks etc.

Most of my collection is OGG Vorbis, otherwise MP3. No AAC,
some FLAC.

I'd even consider other hardware, though that seems wasteful with
MythTV right there.

Suggestions? Or tutorials on how to make MythMusic make sense to me?

Thanks,
Hamish