[mythtv-users] suggestions for IR receiver

Steve Tate srt at cs.unt.edu
Sun Jun 12 17:06:41 UTC 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Carl Fongheiser wrote:

> On 6/11/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/11/05, Paul Harvey <paul.l.harvey at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It isn't a IrDA dongle....it is an IR receiver.  When I set it up a
>>> while ago it required the latest version of LIRC, but did work.
>>>

>> Paul,
>>    Thanks. So I'll order a StreamZap this evening and try it out next
>> week when it arrives. I've not found anywhere to purchase it locally
>> in San Jose although I'm sure someone must sell them. Guess I'll go
>> Amazon for now.
>>
>>    So there's a difference between an 'IrDA dongle' and an 'IR
>> receiver'? I know absolutely nothing of this technology.
>
> Yes, there's a big difference.  IrDA is a data communications protocol
> that uses infrared.  The IR receivers being talked about here are for
> CIR (short for consumer infrared), which is a catchall term for the
> sort of IR used by remote controls.  It's just happens that a few IrDA
> transceivers can be coaxed into handling CIR as well (the Actisys
> IR-200L, for example.)  I don't think any of the USB ones are capable
> of this.  The Actisys I mentioned is a serial model, and I don't
> really recommend it; the range is pretty lousy.

Here's what I'm wondering: I've got a Hauppauge PVR-250, which came
with an IR receiver and remote.  However, then I decided to stick the
tuner in the backend (different room) and have a play-only frontend
based on an EPIA motherboard.  That means using the PVR-250 remote is
a bit of a problem, but I hate for it to go to waste and buy another
remote.

The EPIA has a CIR header on the board.  Is it possible to somehow
wire the Hauppauge IR receiver to this block and use it without having
the PVR-250 in that box?

I've googled a bit to try to figure this out, but haven't found
anything.

--

Steve Tate
srt at cs.unt.edu