[mythtv-users] Tweaks to playback HDTV

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 19:49:26 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, Jean Connelly <unksme at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > b) Proper AGP bus speed and AGP interface driver in use
>
> I'm using agpart and I in /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status I see

> Driver : AGPART
> AGP Rate : 4x
> Fast Writes : Enabled
> SBA : Disabled
>
> If I enable SBA, I get no video and can't get back to console when I start
> X.

 Hmmm. Seems strange. Is the 5200 a 4x AGP card? I've got the 5500 and I'm
running
8x with Fast Writes Disabled and SBA Enabled.

 > c) Proper user of openGL sync for retrace
>
> I recompiled with --enable-opengl-vsync, but I've still got
> Video Timing method: RTC
>
> Where do I change that?

 I'm not sure if this changed since the 0.18 release (since I'm running
from CVS), but for me it is in Setup->TV Settings->Playback in the 5th
screen (Hardware Decoding Settings) there is a "Enable OpenGL vertical
sync for timing" checkbox.

 > d) Proper settings for deinterlace and, if used, xvmc
>
> I'm not even attempting deinterlaced playback yet.
> As I mentioned, if I enable XvMC in myth, it segfaults when I try to
> play back a capture.

 Certainly not good that XvMC segfaults, but I'd do your troubleshooting
with it off. Once its working without XvMC, then you can turn it on.

 > h) Nothing else sucking up CPU on the machine
>
> I'm not running anything else that is CPU intensive.
>
> I'm now scoring like 3600 on glxgears.
>
> Playback of my 1080i test stream is still impossible and I'm seeing
> lots of "prebuffering pause" in the related terminal.
>
> Is there a "Turn off annoying pauses" checkbox that I'm missing?

 Don't think so, but it would be nice! ;)
 Here are my Settings->TV Settings->Playback settings:
 Deinterlace Playback is on using Bob
Use libmpeg2 for decoding is checked
Enable realtime priority threads is checked
Use video as timebase is unchecked
Extra audio buffering is checked
Enable OpenGL vertical sync for timing is checked
Use hardware XvMC MPEG decoding is unchecked
 Sorry, I can't be more help...
--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. --
Confucius