[mythtv-users] PVR350 Audio Question

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 05:49:37 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Michael Starks <mythtv at michaelstarks.com> wrote:
> I have the audio out of my PVR350 going into the sound card.  The output
> of the sound card is sent to the stereo.  This allows me to watch TV and
> listen to music and works great.
>
> What I wonder about is 5.1 surround.  I don't have digital cable.  Is
> digital cable required to receive 5.1?  I have seen the how-to on
> getting the S/PDIF working on the sound card, but there seems to be some
> indication that with the 350 out/sound card in it wouldn't truly be
> digital audio.  Thanks.

The PVR-350 card records and ouputs stereo analog audio. TV recorded
via either the tuner or the S-Video input on this card will also only
have analog sound (may contain Dolby Surround, but not DD5.1). I'm
99.9% sure that digital cable/satellite/terrestrial is required to
receive DD5.1, as the digital sound is transmitted as a DD5.1 stream
within the program/transport streams received (and video as MPEG2).

If you are not going to be using HDTV or DVB which has channels
broadcasting DD5.1 audio, you are not missing out. It is possible
though to connect your soundcard's SPDIF output to a DD receiver for
those times you wish use xine/mplayer to play DVDs, and the system
will also usefully convert the analog audio received from the output
of the PVR-350's decoder and send it out the SPDIF too, so you need
only 1 audio connection to the receiver..

HTH,
Nick