[mythtv-users] Time Delay

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 13 13:48:50 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

>On 6/13/05, Christian Strijbos <c.strijbos at bechtle-hamburg.de> wrote:
>

>>i have a question about the Time Delay when i switch the Channels in
>>LiveTV. In the moment i have a delay from 3sec. Is it possible, to
>>reduce the delay to 1 sec or 2? I have seen this question in the Archive
>>but i found no resolution for this question.
>>I know that the time delay is essential for the buffer, but is it
>>possible to reduce that delay ?
>>

>Not without hacking the LiveTV code probably. It's certainly not a
>user-configurable option I've seen. For quick browsing of TV it can be
>annoying - but for that I use the program guide instead which avoids
>the delays!

I recommend reading
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/132686#132686 .  In
it, I discuss why--even if one were to hack Myth to minimize (or even
eliminate) the delay--it would only work on some types of systems.  Most
of the relevant information is toward the bottom of the post, but it
often refers back to information from higher in the post.  I think if
you read the whole post, you'll have a good understanding of why it
works the way it does and why it shouldn't be changed in Myth...

I also mention a way of eliminating the delay--for a specific configuration.

Mike