[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast with 6200

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:35:20 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Brian C. Huffman <huffman at graze.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> I've just successfully setup my mythtv to use the firewire input with
> the Motorolla 6200 and I see that I can view any non-premium channels.
> It doesn't see as though the box has been setup to allow premium
> channels to output through the firewire.  I'm using Comcast.  Has anyone
> had a similar problem?  Is there any workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Brian,
   I have no direct experience with this but I have some background in
a number of the specs that are used to send this data around. Any
program material that is encrypted on the cable TV cable (HBO,
Showtime, etc. - anything requiring a subscription) would most likely
be required to be transmitted across the 1394 cable in its encrypted
form. The issue here is being able to make digital copies the
programs.

   Also, since the Linux 1394 stack doesn't handle 5C key exchanges it
cannot do the unencryption step required to allow you to watch the
program even if the data is transmitted, which it probably isn't.

HTHs,
Mark