[mythtv-users] Backend & Back/Frontend specs.

Pete Clarke pete at dynotechnic.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 21:52:01 UTC 2005

Hi all,

OK - So I have pretty much convienced myself to do this, but I was wondering
what hardware would be appropriate.

I intend to have a master backend connected to my Sky box, and located in
the lounge. This will be hooked up to the Sky box and to the Surround Sound
HI-Fi system.
A slave backend will be located in my server room and hooked upto a freeview
box.

Various frontends will be spread around the house, one in the lounge
(front/backend), one in the kitchen, one in the computer room and another 1
or 2 in the kids rooms.
Obviously they will not all be in use at once (I hope!).

The hardware I had intended to use was:

Master Backend/Frontend (Lounge):
AMD Athlon 2000+
512MB Ram
240GB HDD (IDE)
NEC DVD-/+R
Happauge WinTV PVR 350
Creative Labs Live! Platinum Soundcard
Nvidia FX5200 Video Card;

The Slave backend (Server room):
Dual PIII/550 or 733
1GB Ram
140GB RAID0 LVD SCSI HDD
Happauge WinTV PVR 250
No CD/VGA output;

The other frontends will be a mixture of ATI Radeon 7500, Athlon 2000+
machines c/w 512Mb Ram and PIII 1Ghz, Intel 810 c/w 512Mb Ram machines.

Does anyone have any comments regarding this setup? Good/bad experiences
with similar equipment?

Thanks for your time and patience :-)

Cheers,

Pete.