[mythtv-users] Up and Down keys and seeking

Noel Murphy bnmurphy at rogers.com
Tue Jun 14 01:32:24 UTC 2005

I realize that I'm probably jumping into the middle of something
here, but I just want to throw in my 2 cents.

I also find the logic counter intuitive. The main reason here is that
on my remote control, my  arrow keys (left, right, up and down) are
also my channel up/down and volume up/ down buttons. Channel changes
with up / down arrows and volume with left /  right.

They buttons are also clearly marked with a plus (+) sign on the "up"
arrow, because this means "increment channel by 1".

Now, I understand the logic that Isaac stated about a text editor,
however EVERY time my father in law comes over to my house (who has
his own commercial pvr) he presses the up arrow to jump ahead (when
viewing a recording) thinking that a key with a "plus" symbol on it
MUST go forward in time, just like a dvd player would.

However, forget my remote control for the time being and lets focus
on just the standard pc keyboard. My problem, which is probably the
same as what X.S is talking about is that regardless of what I bind
JUMPRWND  & JUMPFFWD to (currently F6 & F7), pressing "up" on my
keyboard has the same effect as my JUMPRWND button. This is what I
consider to be the true bug. Regardless of what I map JUMPRWND to,
there is no way (that I know of) to prevent the "up" arrow on the
keyboard from having the same effect. (Truthfully, I didn't test if
the problem is that the JUMPRWND event always happens when the up
arrow is pressed or if it always happens when the "CHANNELUP" button
is pressed. Either way, I consider it to be a bug.)

Noel Murphy