[mythtv-users] Backend & Back/Frontend specs.

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 04:33:36 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Pete Clarke <pete at dynotechnic.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OK - So I have pretty much convienced myself to do this, but I was wondering
> what hardware would be appropriate.
>
> I intend to have a master backend connected to my Sky box, and located in
> the lounge. This will be hooked up to the Sky box and to the Surround Sound
> HI-Fi system.
> A slave backend will be located in my server room and hooked upto a freeview
> box.
>
> Various frontends will be spread around the house, one in the lounge
> (front/backend), one in the kitchen, one in the computer room and another 1
> or 2 in the kids rooms.
> Obviously they will not all be in use at once (I hope!).
>
> The hardware I had intended to use was:
>
> Master Backend/Frontend (Lounge):
> AMD Athlon 2000+
> 512MB Ram
> 240GB HDD (IDE)
> NEC DVD-/+R
> Happauge WinTV PVR 350
> Creative Labs Live! Platinum Soundcard
> Nvidia FX5200 Video Card;

If you are going with the FX5200 (that's what I use, very happy with
it), then you don't need the video out feature of a PVR-350. Go with a
PVR250, PVR-150 (cheaper), or a PVR-500 (dual tuner).
Everything else sounds pretty good. I currently have only a 200GB HD,
and I'm already looking to add another 200-400GB drive, but 240 should
be plenty to start with.

> The Slave backend (Server room):
> Dual PIII/550 or 733
> 1GB Ram
> 140GB RAID0 LVD SCSI HDD
> Happauge WinTV PVR 250
> No CD/VGA output;

Again, the PVR-150 will be cheaper than a 250, just make sure that you
have a motherboard that will support it. I read a post today where
someone claimed that they were not well supported on VIA chipsets or
something. Search the archive, you'll find lots of info about support
(or lack thereof) for the PVR-150s and 500s. I use two PVR-250s and a
PVR-500MCE in my box.

It looks like you are only going for two tuners, one in each of these
boxes. If that's the case, why do you need a slave backend? Can't you
fit 2 capture cards in the combined BE/FE? If not, go with a PVR-500
and eliminate the need for the second box.

--Garry