[mythtv-users] Backend & Back/Frontend specs.

Pete Clarke pete at dynotechnic.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 07:27:34 UTC 2005

#If you are going with the FX5200 (that's what I use, very happy with it),
then
#you don't need the video out feature of a PVR-350. Go with a PVR250,
PVR-150
#(cheaper), or a PVR-500 (dual tuner).
#Everything else sounds pretty good. I currently have only a 200GB HD, and
I'm
#already looking to add another 200-400GB drive, but 240 should be plenty to

#start with.

:-) It will be using the 240GB purely for buffers, all recorded shows will
be archived.
<geek>I have a terrabyte FC RAID system at the moment for my file server,
there is about 200gb left on that, with another potential 400gb (a spare
Compaq 4100 enclosure) for archived video/audio.</geek>

Will IDE be fast enough to buffer TV and watch it? (time-lapse - that kind
of thing)..

#Again, the PVR-150 will be cheaper than a 250, just make sure that you have
a #motherboard that will support it. I read a post today where someone
claimed that #they were not well supported on VIA chipsets or something.
Search the archive, #you'll find lots of info about support (or lack
thereof) for the PVR-150s and
#500s. I use two PVR-250s and a PVR-500MCE in my box.

I already have two PVR-250's - they only cost £44 each, brand new :-D
I thought of using the 350 to see out things go, if I am happy with it I can
rearrange the hardware later.

How well supported is the 500MCE? I was under the impression that the 250
and 350 were the most stable options..

#It looks like you are only going for two tuners, one in each of these
boxes. If #that's the case, why do you need a slave backend? Can't you fit 2
capture cards #in the combined BE/FE? If not, go with a PVR-500 and
eliminate the need for the #second box.

I will be starting with the two tuners until I get more familiar with the
whole system, then, the potential to add more really appeals to me :-)
I like the idea of using a slave backend as I can add more storage to it a
lot easier (the case for the combined fe/be is rather limited space-wise),
and it will integrate into my network a lot easier too (it will be located
in my server rack, connected via fiber channel to the main file server).

Cheers,

Pete.