[mythtv-users] Re: atprms.net unreachable? (ip blocking)

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Tue Jun 14 17:44:36 UTC 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:

> The server blocks any IP that connects more than a dozen time at the
> same moment (DoS and "download accellerators").

A good feature for internet facing servers but can it be tweeked? I
think the yum client in FC4 along with some casual browsing is
triggering IP blocks. Also, yum tends to connect and disconnect
several times during a transaction which may be affecting things on
your end.

For example, I just did the following in an effort to install mythtv
on my FC4 box:

1) Used Safari to browse atrpms.net
2) Used yum on FC4 to install sudo from the FC4 base channel (at-
stable is in my /etc/yum.repos.d/ dir)
3) Ran "yum update mythtv mythtvplugins" (result: no packages found,
none installed)
4) Used Safari to browse atrpms.net again to see why mythtv packages
were missing
5) Ran "yum update" to update the older FC3 atrpms.net packages I
previously installed

At step 5 my ip was blocked and yum gives me an error when trying to
access the repodata for at-stable and aborts all transactions. I'm
not sure this was being abusive but I clearly wasn't using a download
accelerator or doing anything out of the ordinary.

If you want to check your logs look for the IP 66.57.80.76 between
13:00 and 14:00 ET

You most likely don't hear this enough, thanks for the help and the
atrpms.net service.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1