[mythtv-users] Re: Minimum memory for myth system

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:33:10 UTC 2005

Hi.  I have a Celeron 2.4ghz machine, 1 PVR-250, 1 PVR-350 (using
output), 256mb RAM.

In my experience, it's not enough.

If you have satellite (or digital cable) and a large channel list,
browsing the EPG is slooow.. and using the 'find other airtimes'
function can cause the frontend to become unresponsive for minutes
while mysql thrashes..

Also, mythfilldatabase (and the resulting MySQL inserts) consume so
much memory that it starts swapping like crazy and video playback
(PVR-350 output.. I assume it would be totally unworkably slow
otherwise :/) will bog down if you try and do it at the same time.

Note though, that programs being recorded are never disturbed by and
of this because IIRC ivtv's encoder thread runs at real-time priority,
but video playback can bog down which is annoying, but not fatal.
Still, go for 512MB :)