[mythtv-users] PVR 350 and MythVideo

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 21:26:15 UTC 2005

The fact that the PVR output as a framebuffer is slow
is reasonably well known.  The only reason the mpeg2
pipes to the PVR350 work so well is they are piped at
a small bitrate to a decoder which then expands the
mpeg2 streams.

Having said that, for some reason I get very good
performance playback wise, from the latest xine.  It
can play dvds directly or rips, and the video and
audio are near perfect, despite the fact that it's not
playing the mpeg2 video through the pvr's decoder.
There is some very slight tearing visible as the
screen is refreshed, but it is well within my
acceptable limits.  Nothing like trying to play
mythtv's player through the framebuffer without the
decoder, which is beyond unacceptable.

Frankly, I don't know why xine looks so good.  I'm not
using xv or anything (even using 0.2.0rcj).  Maybe
xine has some internal PVR drivers that it uses or
something?

Also, I'm using a P4 2.4GHz, so maybe that helps.  I'm
going to try some mpeg4 playback soon and see how that
works.  Maybe then it won't look good anymore.  :D

Anyway, FYI.