[mythtv-users] Mythbackend: page allocation failure

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 21:33:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 02:12:27PM -0700, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Khanh Tran <khanh at slc.edu> wrote:
> > Kernel is 2.6.8.  I'm running SuSE 9.2 (2.6.8-24.14).
> > I chose XFS because I read on a MythTV thread somewhere that it
> > handled large files well.
>
> It, and JFS both do. I haven't seen your error reported with JFS.
> Does SuSE offer a newer kernel? 2.6.11 would be good.

What you want to read is this:

The one time I managed to get through to the referenced URL
http://aurora.zemris.fer.hr/filesystems/big.html (IIRC), I think it
basically said:

	- JFS performs comparatively well with large files.
	- ReiserFS performs comparatively well with small files.
	- XFS performs comparatively well with both, but uses more CPU.

(This is also basically stated in the Myth docs.)

FWIW, I've been using JFS with no problems for the 4 months or so I've
been Myth'ing, across a few kernel upgrades (2.6.9, 2.6.11, 2.6.12),
and one bad system failure (simultaneous death of PSU and motherboard,
or perhaps one leading to the other). My distribution is
debian-sarge/ubuntu-hoary on amd64.

--Rob