[mythtv-users] Minimum memory for myth system

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 00:16:53 UTC 2005

On 6/14/05, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 02:25 pm, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> > Strange, I also have 256 Megs on a combination backend/frontend.  I
> > rarely ever touch the swap, typically it will use around 150 Megs of
> > ram.  It's an XP1800 with a pvr 250 for capture.  Just seems that you
> > shouldn't be swapping too much.
>
> My production myth box only has 256MB of ram as well.  Never had a single
> problem because of it.

As I said, I only have problems when mythfilldatabase is running, and
when browsing my (rather large -- Antenna/Dish Network/Expressvu)
channel list/looking for alternate airtimes.  I assumed that the
massive MySQL queries were causing MySQL to eat RAM and cause the
kernel swap excessively, but I don't think I've actually checked into
this..

.. I'll try and remember to take a look while it is running someday
and see what's actually going on.

My original message might have not been entirely clear though -- other
than the circumstances I mention above, it runs without a hickup --
and the video (playback) only stutters when mythfilldatabase is
running.

--
Ian Trider
iantri at gmail.com