[mythtv-users] Playback vid corruption with HD NBC (1080i or amd64 related?)

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 00:23:30 UTC 2005

> This is different than the problem that I have with the bob deint. With
> that the  SD stuff will shimmer. I haven't seen a fix for that one
> either.  I believe that is also amd64 related.

I don't know about the main problem you describe in your message, but
what you describe here is pretty much inherent in a bob deinterlace --
it takes each field of the original interlaced frame and blows it up
to full size, then plays the two one after another in time.

Because the two interlaced fields are in slightly different spatial
positions (i.e. the first field covers the odd scanlines, second field
covers the even scanlines) the image will wobble/jitter vertically
slightly. (That's why it's called 'bob' <g>)

There are strategies for reducing this, but I'm don't know if myth
implements them (using PVR-350 for output) -- if it is available for
realtime playback, though, kerneldeint should look nice, but the
motion won't be as 'smooth'.

I'm guessing this isn't really noticable in HD material because the
higher-resolution probably covers up for the bob effect.

--
Ian Trider
iantri at gmail.com