[mythtv-users] Re: atprms.net unreachable? (ip blocking)

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Wed Jun 15 01:35:06 UTC 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Certainly has been cleared in the last 24h. What have you been doing?
> Is it yum again

Just back from dinner and found my IP unblocked. This time I was just
browsing with Safari on Mac OS X and found myself blocked again after
about a dozen or so page visits. At this rate it's going to be along
time to pull down the FC4 packages ;)

My previous MythTV box was a gentoo build. I switched to FC4 because
I was tired of rebuilding packages and heard lots of good things
about the atrpms myth packages. Looks like I'll be rolling up my
sleeves and rolling my own mythtv packages from source though. :)

> Half a dozen is vanishingly small if you compare to the total unique
> client accesses per day. In normal days it's between 10-20K. I haven't
> checked yet for the unique connects since the release of FC4, but I
> guess they will be much higher.

You've gotta figure that most people don't report the problem. Or if
they know it even is a problem they blame their local ISP or reboot
their Windows box or do anything but expect the site they're trying
to reach is blocking their IP. Having a few years experince of
running high volume / high profile services it's even more rare when
a clueful user reports something other than "it's broke".

On a related note, anyone know of atrpms.net mirrors that don't block
IPs during normal usage? I would check the atprms.net web site but my
IP is currently blocked ;)

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1