[mythtv-users] auto-expire by priority?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Jun 15 02:00:03 UTC 2005

> Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong, but is there a way to
> auto-expire by priority rather than by age, or otherwise configure my
> recording schedules to achieve this effect?

Don't think there's a way to do this right now.  It'd be fairly easy
to implement though.  When I created AutoExpire, I created a method
called AutoExpire::FillExpireList().  This method checks the current
AutoExpireMethod and calls the appropriate function to get the list
of recordings to autoexpire.  Currently the only method is oldest first
and uses AutoExpire::FillOldestFirst(), but you could easily add a
AutoExpire::FillLowestPriorityFirst() and add code to store the
original recording priority with a recording so it could be used to
AutoExpire.  I figured people would want other methods so I tried to
make the code flexible, but noone ever implemented any other expiration
ordering methods and I think the setup option for selecting the method
has been taken out of the setup screen recently because of this.  My
drive never seems to fill up enough to have AutoExpire kick in, but if I
did use it, I know I'd prefer "Lowest Priority First" rather than
"Oldest First".  If I didn't care that much if it recorded to begin with,
why would I want it to stick around when something else I cared about more
got expired just because it was older? :)

--
Chris