[mythtv-users] Minimum memory for myth system

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Wed Jun 15 11:00:42 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 18:39, Isaac Richards wrote:
> My production myth box only has 256MB of ram as well.  Never had a single
> problem because of it.

i run a shell script from cron which downloads the data from the bbc with
tv_grab_uk_rt and then feed the file into mythfilldatabase
the download takes a while (because i have lot of channels) but the
mythfilldatabase churns away for hours and hours and never finishes. i did
once leave it for 24 hours to see if it would finish (it didn't)
it *is* loading the data into the database but eventually the system starts
swapping and that kills the throughput

looking at the code, one thing that struck me is that it uses DOM, which in my
case means it loads the whole XML file (all 22M) into memory and then
processes it. i have a mind to try using SAX and see if that makes a
difference. in the meantime, i've ordered a 512M SIMM for the machine.

regards
--
simon