[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase runs for ever

Michael Farrell michael at ratemyrackmountedserver.com
Wed Jun 15 12:12:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:47 +0100, Peter Clarke wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have managed to get things setup initially, running on Debian unstable,
> and have run the /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend.
> This has now been running for 10 hours straight causing the machine
> (Athlon 2000+/512MB) to become *very* slow and unresponsive.
> Is this normal?
> How long should it run for?

For me, it takes about 2 minutes.

> Would people recommend Debian as the host OS for MythTV - I am used to it
> as it is installed on all of my servers (6 of 'em :-) ) but if a different
> distie   makes things easier/quicker etc. then I am happy to experiment...

I used to run Arch Linux on my MythTV box, it was very lightweight but
at the same time I had issues with packages - they'd sometimes not exist
or have missing dependencies.

At the moment I'm running a minimal Ubuntu Hoary install, with some
extra repositories for codecs and DVD playback, and I've reused the same
set of binaries that I compiled while using MythTV on Arch.  I had some
bad experiences with prepackages mythtv in the past, which is why I took
the source option.  It also seperates Myth's root from everything else.

Michael.