[mythtv-users] master backend without capture card

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 20:19:48 UTC 2005

On 6/15/05, Calvin Leung <cleung at sonic.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is that possible to setup a master backend without capture card?  Is
> that allowed?
>
> The reason is that I don't want to turn on the machine which has capture
> card all the time.  But I do have gateway/mail server which is up 24x7.
> I want master backend to wake up the slave backend when it need to be
> schedule.
>
> I have tried the WOL technique suggested from the doc but it doesn't
> give me a 24/7 mythweb running such that I can remotely schedule something.
>
> Any suggestion are welcome.

Quoting the docs: "The only hard-and-fast rule is that the Master
backend must have a capture device defined, but shouldn't imply that
the capture device in the Master backend must be the first capture
card defined in the database."

Taken from here: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.13

My suggestion is to pick up a very cheap bt-based card and put in your
gateway/firewall box, and never use it (unless you have a conflict).

HTH,

Josh