[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast with 6200

Doug's Junk dj at sebabeach.org
Thu Jun 16 05:26:43 UTC 2005

Brian C. Huffman wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 15:28 -0700, Doug's Junk wrote:
>

>>>I get the basic/analog channels plus the stuff in the middle.  I haven't
>>>gotten the HD
>>>channels to work but I think that might be pilot error.
>>>
>>>My problem is that viewing is sporadic.   When I select "Watch TV" the
>>>front end
>>>times out waiting for the backend, and the backend times out because it
>>>says it didn't
>>>get a signal over firewire within 15 seconds.  Once things start working
>>>

>Just FYI, that's what happens to me if I select a premium channel - I
>get a timeout on the backend which results in a black screen on the
>frontend.  However, that's how I ended up discovering that it was
>premium channels.  The comcast box isn't sending anything over the
>firewire (or the recorder isn't able to read it) so it times out.
>
>So...you may be experiencing the same problem.

Thanks for the reply but that is most definately not the problem I'm
running into.
The problem I'm seeing happens on any channel that I can view.  Again,
sometimes
things start working (with zero changes on my part other than giving it
one more try),
and when it does it works reliably from that point on (IIRC).  Maybe the
firewire session
initiation needs tweaking to be a bit more robust, I don't know.

Someone recently reported seeing the same problem I am (grep for "firewire
recording problems" in the subject line).

2005-06-05 21:33:10.104 Firewire: No Input in 15 seconds [P:0 N:1] (select)

They reported that an apt-get dist-upgrade fixed things.  I will give
that a try.
I'd be curious, though, if that really fixed things or if they're now
just getting
lucky like I sometimes am.