[mythtv-users] Feature Request: allowable overlap for recordings?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 17:19:06 UTC 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 0:46, Robert Tsai wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:14:55PM -0700, Blammo wrote:
> > Another example is several of the big networks making a program run
> > til, for example, 9:05pm This bumps a 9pm scheduled recording, when
> > in fact, I wouldn't mind missing the first 5 minutes to get the
> > other 55.
>
> This scenario is quite normal, and easy to spot: in the listings data,
> the show will run 8:05-9:05pm. In the USA, for example, ABC does this
> on Wednesday evenings, running everything 2 minutes after the hour.
>
> When setting up your Wednesday evening recording schedules (say)
> simply set everything up to begin/end 2 minutes early (e.g., mentally
> note that you want all your schedules to begin/end on the hour, unless
> you know you don't have any conflicts).
>
> > Would would be nifty would be a configurable "fudge" factor, that
> > you could set, allowing the scheduler to pick up XXX minutes into
> > the program, as soon as the tuner became free. Or maybe, no fudge
> > factor at all. Maybe it checks every minute, and if a tuner suddenly
> > became free, it would start recording.
>
> You essentially have a conflict between a show that runs "late" and
> another one that starts "on time" (or early), so you should fix your
> schedules accordingly.

In general, it's rather unreasonable to expect users to go through their
entire recording schedule looking for these scenarios, especially when
you consider that many of the scheduled recordings might be "record at
any time" or other such non-time-specific rules.  In such a case,
changing the recording schedule would change it for the entire rule,
rather than just that instance.

IMHO, a better solution would be to add an option to the Conflict
Resolution screen; something like "Allow recording of non-conflicting
portion only".  An override like that would affect only that particular
showing, and would be much easier to remedy than editing the recording
schedule (and possibly remembering to change it back again later).

Just my $.02.

-JAC