[mythtv-users] Plextor ConvertX troubles

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Thu Jun 16 18:42:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:23:28AM -0700, Jason H wrote:
> The video goes off the screen at 1024x768, so I only
> get 1/4 of the picture (this I can chalk up to not
> really an encoder issue)

Yeah, this is a playback issue, right?  Since the ConvertX doesn't
capture at 1024x768...

> but the video I get is
> extremely blocky and absolutely horrid. You can barely
> tell the channel that it is on. It is like it is using
> the absolute minimum bits.

The bitrate control slider doesn't work?  What do you have it set to? Have
you changed the bitrate for all of the profiles in the "USB Mpeg-4
Encoder" group in the Recording Profiles menu?

> Also, the encoders don't
> seem to work from boot. I need to unplug and replug
> them in.

Probably a hotplug problem...  Are there messages in your /var/log/syslog
on startup that indicate a problem loading the driver or firmware or
anything?  I haven't played with Knoppmyth so I can't vouch for it being
configured correctly.

> Yes, I said them (I have 2) but i gave up on
> gettng both to work, so I am only workign with one
> right now.

We have four running simultaneously in the lab right now.  What problems
are you running into?

> I can't figure out how to get them to MPEG2, they seem
> locked on MPEG4,

MythTV only supports MPEG4 capture on the ConvertX.  -Nathan