[mythtv-users] Plextor ConvertX troubles

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 18:58:19 UTC 2005

--- Nathan Lutchansky
<lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:23:28AM -0700, Jason H
> wrote:
> > The video goes off the screen at 1024x768, so I
> only
> > get 1/4 of the picture (this I can chalk up to not
> > really an encoder issue)
>
> Yeah, this is a playback issue, right?  Since the
> ConvertX doesn't
> capture at 1024x768...

Figured :-)

> > but the video I get is
> > extremely blocky and absolutely horrid. You can
> barely
> > tell the channel that it is on. It is like it is
> using
> > the absolute minimum bits.
>
> The bitrate control slider doesn't work?  What do
> you have it set to? Have
> you changed the bitrate for all of the profiles in
> the "USB Mpeg-4
> Encoder" group in the Recording Profiles menu?

The slider slides, I have it maxxed out, but no change
to the TV quality. I am only changing the TV one
because that is the only one that I am diagnosing
right now.

> > Also, the encoders don't
> > seem to work from boot. I need to unplug and
> replug
> > them in.
>
> Probably a hotplug problem...  Are there messages in
> your /var/log/syslog
> on startup that indicate a problem loading the
> driver or firmware or
> anything?  I haven't played with Knoppmyth so I
> can't vouch for it being
> configured correctly.

I will check tonight. I did notice "unable to load
firmware" (or to that effect) messages SOMETIMEs. I
think in the archives there is a post with
instructions on how to manually load the firm ware...
I'll give that a try too.

> > Yes, I said them (I have 2) but i gave up on
> > gettng both to work, so I am only workign with one
> > right now.
>
> We have four running simultaneously in the lab right
> now.  What problems
> are you running into?

Well, none specifically, I just fell  back to one
incase that was an issue.

> > I can't figure out how to get them to MPEG2, they
> seem
> > locked on MPEG4,
>
> MythTV only supports MPEG4 capture on the ConvertX.

Makes sense. I'm not really interested in MPEG2
anyway, except for troubleshooting :-)

Thanks.