[mythtv-users] Feature Request: allowable overlap for recordings?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jun 16 19:38:49 UTC 2005

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> In general, it's rather unreasonable to expect users to go through their
> entire recording schedule looking for these scenarios, especially when

It's very reasonable. You only need to look at today becaue the
the listing update tomorrow may change things. I may see things
a couple days ahead and tweak them but I don't fret too much until
the day comes. There are lots of things that may need attention
besides deciding what to do about these small overlaps and I
know that I can set rules to normally do what I want and can tweak
things to match what I'm thinking that the system can't possibly
know until I tell it.

> you consider that many of the scheduled recordings might be "record at
> any time" or other such non-time-specific rules.  In such a case,
> changing the recording schedule would change it for the entire rule,
> rather than just that instance.

This is precisely what overrides are for. You can always modify
a single showing without affecting the recurring rule.

> IMHO, a better solution would be to add an option to the Conflict
> Resolution screen; something like "Allow recording of non-conflicting
> portion only".  An override like that would affect only that particular
> showing, and would be much easier to remedy than editing the recording
> schedule (and possibly remembering to change it back again later).

Joesph, I know you've been here a long time and are one of the most
knowledgeable users and regularly give some of the best, correct and
helpful answers. I can't accept that you didn't know that overrides
have existed for a year or two =). I must be misreading this.

As far as automatically generating an override, first, I agree with
Isaac (and gigem's code) that I'd rather have the scheduler get a
complete later showing that a partial now. If I know that I want the
partial recording now, I can tell the system how to do that.

If I still what to re-record the full program later, I can tell the
system to do that too.

If there is an overlap that results in a conflict (if it was really
important to me, I'd buy a sixth card ;-) the system can't know if
I'd prefer to chop off the end of one thing or the beginning of the
other.  Someone mentioned that ABC scheduled 2 minutes off the hour
on Wednesday, I don't see that here for last night or next week but
all a care about on Wednesday is that I don't miss a minute of Beauty
and the Geek. If the scheduler decided for me that it should cutoff
the first two minutes for some ABC show, I'd be pissed.

--  bjm