[mythtv-users] Feature Request: allowable overlap for recordings?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 21:18:37 UTC 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 15:38, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > IMHO, a better solution would be to add an option to the Conflict
> > Resolution screen; something like "Allow recording of
> > non-conflicting
> > portion only".  An override like that would affect only that
> > particular
> > showing, and would be much easier to remedy than editing the
> > recording
> > schedule (and possibly remembering to change it back again later).
>
> Joesph, I know you've been here a long time and are one of the most
> knowledgeable users and regularly give some of the best, correct and
> helpful answers. I can't accept that you didn't know that overrides
> have existed for a year or two =). I must be misreading this.

Thanks... I think :-)

To be honest, I knew about overrides but I wasn't fully aware of the UI
to enter them manually.  I'd actually kind of forgotten about them, as
I don't have much use for overrides myself, having a 2-tuner system and
almost *never* having a conflict that isn't automatically resolved by
the scheduler (and I usually don't care if it decides to record a later
showing).  Well, at least that was the case until I recently installed
TVWish, which filled up my recording schedule quite nicely... as if I
didn't have more than I could watch before :-)  But, I digress...

> As far as automatically generating an override, first, I agree with
> Isaac (and gigem's code) that I'd rather have the scheduler get a
> complete later showing that a partial now. If I know that I want the
> partial recording now, I can tell the system how to do that.

I'm not suggesting that the schedular automatically record a partial...
all I'm suggesting is (I think...) that a button be added to the
Conflict Resolution screen that allows the user to instantly add an
override that results in a partial recording.

A real enhancement (and a real trick) would be getting the override to
be conditional... that is, if a future run of the scheduler determines
that the original conflict is gone (maybe I decided not to record the
other overlapping program, or the lineup changed), then the 'partial'
override would be silently disregarded.

> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.7

Wow, I just realized how long it's been since I looked at any of the
docs... they're looking pretty nice these days!  Kudos to RK!

> If I still what to re-record the full program later, I can tell the
> system to do that too.
>
> If there is an overlap that results in a conflict (if it was really
> important to me, I'd buy a sixth card ;-) the system can't know if
> I'd prefer to chop off the end of one thing or the beginning of the
> other.  Someone mentioned that ABC scheduled 2 minutes off the hour
> on Wednesday, I don't see that here for last night or next week but
> all a care about on Wednesday is that I don't miss a minute of Beauty
> and the Geek. If the scheduler decided for me that it should cutoff
> the first two minutes for some ABC show, I'd be pissed.

Ah, the first 2 minutes is usually just a recap of the previous week...
now, if I lost the *last* 2 minutes when they show the next week's
previews, *then* I'd be pissed :-)

Cheers,

JAC