[mythtv-users] Multiple IR Blasters?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 17 01:28:12 UTC 2005

Darren Richards wrote:

>>For example, I have DISH network and created a lircd.conf that lists
three remotes--dish, dish6, and dish9--using remote codes 1, 6, and 9.
(I only have two receivers, but when calculating a second set of remote
codes, doing a third was no extra work.)  Then, I set the channel change
script for my inputs to use "change_channel dish" and "change_channel
dish9" where change_channel is a script that accepts a LIRC remote name
and a channel number and sends the appropriate signal.
>>So, even though the signal is received by both boxes, it's ignored by
the one using the other remote code.  That way, I can stack my DISH
receivers right next to each other and control them with a single
transmitter.  To do this, you need the improved transmitter--the LIRC
simple transmitter doesn't have the range or breadth of signal to
control more than one device.

>I have an almost identical setup, but I'm using two homebrew LIRC simple
transmitters wired in parallel, so each Dish receiver has it's own
transmitter.  I'm not sure how much the improved transmitter
>costs, but it was only a couple bucks for an additional IR LED at Radio
Shack and it works great.

It definitely costs more than the simple IR transmitter, but it's still
not too expensive (maybe $10-$15 IIRC).  However, my MB only has one
serial port (and doesn't have extra headers or anything), so I had to
control both with a single transmitter.

>And just out of curiosity, were you able to use the IR9 codes as-is?  For
some reason, they didn't work for me.  I ended up having to
>translate them to "RAW" codes...

RAW.  I've never been able to get the non-RAW codes to work, but the RAW
ones work like a charm.

Mike